Sunday, May 16, 2010

Work you dog!!

We finally came to the realization that a our garden area is taking up a lot of our back yard space.  We decided to take out our garden and build smaller raised beds around the yard so that we can use our space more efficiently and also get a better harvest.  First things first.  We will skip all of the boring details of removing railroad ties, tilling, and leveling the ground.  I decided that I needed a little help for this project, so I enlisted my younger brother Michael.  He was more than happy to come help.  In fact, he said he was honored to come help.  I had forgotten, but he has had experience installing sod.  He installed sod on a softball field.  (maybe it was softball fields, but anyway...)

We first went and picked up the sod.  We were only getting 500 sq ft, so I didn't really think how much sod that would actually be compared to the back of my bothers truck.


It turns out that his truck could only haul about 250 sq ft of sod.  We ended up making two trips to Layton to get all of the sod.  Here we are loaded down with our second trip.  Now it is time to unload.

 

Luckily Michael brought his muscles with him to help on the project.  He jumped right in and started throwing this sod around like it was a piece of paper.  I did my part, I supplied the wheelbarrow. 


Brandon and Brinley were also helping out.  They helped by sleeping while we were outside working.  Everybody had a role to play and they helped out.  Misty was busy leveling and preparing the ground while Bryce and Michael were hauling sod.  (I was taking the pictures.  It is a hard job, but somebody has to do it.) 


Bryce was using his red wagon to haul sod into the back yard.  He was working hard.  Somehow, he got the idea that this will be a baseball field when we are done.  That gave him a lot of motivation to help finish the job.

Bryce took a number of loads in his wagon.  As you can see the truck has been unloaded, but Bryce did not realize we were done hauling sod, until he noticed the empty truck.  When he saw there was no more sod, he was pretty happy.

While Bryce was excitedly running around, Michael was busy unloading his sod from the wheelbarrow.  Bryce wasn't celebrating too long.  He was soon there next to Michael ready to help him put the sod down and put it in place.


I must say.... Michael didn't complain at all, he just whislted while he worked. (If you know Michael, that is a true statement!)

and worked...

and worked.
Bryce definitely got some good experience at working hard.  I think he might have even learned how to sweat!!  He definitely learned how to supervise.  At least he looked good doing it.
I think I taught him by example of how to supervise. ( Like Father like Son.)  Keep working Michael!!  
 We need to finish this before the sun goes down and when I say "We"  I mean "You".


Thanks to Michael we (he) did finish the job!  After we (he) finished installing the sod, we had a game of soccer.  Michael and Bryce played against Misty and me.  Can you guess who won?  Michael and Bryce won with a last second goal.  After the game we had a nice BBQ.  If you hadn't noticed, Michael worked pretty hard during the day.  He put down three hamburgers and still had room for dessert.  

Bryce is really excited to use his, baseball field / soccer field / golf course / quidditch pitch / badminton court etc etc.  

Michael thanks for all of your help!!  Now, when can you come to help with the raised beds?

10 comments:

Carroll Conversations said...

Whew! That made me tired and sweaty just reading about it. Great job guys! Where's the before and after pictures?

Anonymous said...

Now when Michael comes to visit he can say," this is all the work I've done!"
Looks great! We need to come see the rest of the newly remodeled house.

Thomas said...

It looks like you had a good time. Mom wants to know when we are all getting together to do her backyard.

Carin Byington said...

Your yard looks good. I have heard raised gardens are tons better. You will have to let me know how it works.

Michael Jenson said...

I'm glad to see that credit was given where credit is deserved. haha Thanks though...like I told Misty, Thanks for asking. It makes me feel good when someone trusts me.

Michael Jenson said...

Well, well, well! I'm glad to see that credit is given where credit is deserved. haha Like I told Misty...Thanks for even asking. It means a lot to me that you trust me. I truly did have a good time. And those three hamburgers were delicious. Yes Misty...even the one with Ranch on it.

AmyJo said...

Yay for grass! you will enjoy it I am sure! Who would have guessed that "little" Mike the trike would turn out so cool! ha ha
I would like to try a raised garden.

The Byington's said...

Wow, lots of work! We'll have to come check out your new garden, when you get it done! I loved all the cute pics of Bryce, what a good little helper!

Avry said...

Wow you guys have been busy! we need to come see it..

Neal and Suzanne said...

Wow---what a project and it turned out so awesome. Michael deserved those burgers! Does he hire out?