Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How to fix....

How to fix a VHS tape.  Really?  Does anybody use these anymore, let alone try and fix one when it breaks?

Brandon was playing with one of his Wiggles tapes the other day and not only did he pull the tape out but he broke the tape.  We have other Wiggles videos, but I thought it would be fun to try and fix this one.  I started by taking the screws out of the tape.  I got to the last screw and realized that it was a different screw.  I don't think I have any tools that would get this screw out.

 It is kind of hard to see, but it is kind of like a triangle. (But not really a triangle)  I then decided that it really wasn't that important to save the case, it was the tape that was important.  So opened the case with MY tools.
Once I got it open, I was able to see the broken tape.  I used some scotch tape to put the two ends together.


I then found another VHS tape that I did not need.  I found the instructional video for my paint sprayer (who needs the instructions anyway). 


 I took the case apart and replaced the tape of the instructional video with the tape from the Wiggles.

 I then put it back together.


 I needed to label the new tape so that we would not get confused. 

The last thing I did was to record the tape onto a DVD so that this would not be a problem in the future.  In fact, that is what I will be doing with the other tapes before they meet the same fate. Incidentally, the break in the tape was at the end of the video (at the end of the credits).  It did not damage any of the video.  Approximate time to fix tape - 10 minutes. (that includes looking for possible tools that would work)

3 comments:

Maya said...

I would have just thrown it away. Good job for fixing it. I am not that handy.

Thomas said...

I also enjoy fixing things that should be thrown away.

Anonymous said...

Wow, way to go. Im sure Brandon will enjoy that movie once again. Also, love the new family picture at the top!